Friday, November 30, 2007

Seeing as I used to work for Nintendo Official Magazine two years ago some people, rightfully, think I can either (a) get them a Wii for nothing this Christmas or (b) tell there where they can buy a Wii this Christmas. I could line my pockets if I knew the answer, sadly I don't. Try the main retailers, get on the waiting list, or pay over the odds on eBay I tell them. Advice like 'you should have started your Christmas shopping a lot earlier' obviously don't go down too well.
I love Nintendo. Always have done. The fanboys loved the N64 and the GameCube, your Marios and your Zeldas, but with the launch of PlayStation and then the Xbox, the tag 'casual gamer' came into existence and the Big N's dominance was slowly eroded. It appeared that no-one wanted to play board games with Mario or experience the beauty of the Ocarina of Time.
But now Nintendo is fighting back, advertising to families and mums. They're doing a great job and the Wii is selling out across the world. Hopefully kids that are lucky enough to get a Wii this Christmas will experience the difference that, I think, only Nintendo can bring to a gamer. Just as I did when I first played Super Mario Kart on the Super NES 15 years ago.

2 comments:

David Kohl said...

Erm.

I think the 'casual gamer' term was purely a Playstation thing. Certainly the original Xbox was very much a 'hardcore' purchase....

Tim said...

It certainly was. I remember when many people baulked at the idea of Microsoft coming in and stealing Nintendo's and Sony's thunder. Now look at them…

Loving the 360voice.com blog. You checked out Wired's gaming blog? http://blog.wired.com/games/